Wednesday 18 February 2009

We're a' Jock Tamson's Bairns

A funny thing . . . . every single day since I was told I had cancer, there's been a reference in the papers or on TV to cancer in some for or another. Now, I guess that this has always been the case but the fact that it's now more relevant to me, I'm noticing it more. There's always surveys, warnings, new breakthroughs in treatments and of course, people in the news who have been diagnosed or fighting the fight.
At the moment, many of the stories regard Jade Goody and the plans for her wedding etc. Love her or loathe her, Jade is keeping herself in the news to try do do the best for her family and she's allowing her story to be told - warts, chemo and all - to highlight that cancer doesn't care who it comes to get. What's important is not how or why you get it but how you fight it and deal with it.
I've never had much time for her during her celebrity and Big Brother high jinks but now I wish Jade all the best.

As for me . . . . . the viruses and infections are definitely getting better!
I often joked with the Docs as to whether it would be good luck or good judgement that would come up with the right cocktail of antibiotics that would eventually get on top of things. They all just smiled at the question but now the answer is definitely good judgement. Aye - right!

It doesn't matter - I'm feeling a lot better and I'm getting out more! Well, along the corridor to the conservatory at least. I sit in the warm spring sunshine (really!) and do the crossword and listen to the Fred MacAuley show on Radio Scotland. Well, a routine's a routine!
Another funny thing . . . . prior to diagnosis, I could do the 'Hard' Sudoku in the The Scotsman nearly every day. Since diagnosis, I haven't completed it once.
Another chemo side effect that they don't tell you about! Your sudoku brain stops working.
I'll have to spend more time on the Nintendo DS Brain Trainer - the trouble is that the tips of my fingers are numb and it's hard to hold the stylus so Dr. Yamafujitsuwan tells me my brain age is about 106. That's a chemo side effect that they do tell you about.

Jim Burnside and Iain and Karlynn have been in to visit. It's good to hear the news and gossip from Atos Origin. It seems a long long time since I was there.

Oh aye - nearly forgot to tell you - there's Chinese whispers that I might get home for the weekend and then come back in from Tuesday to Friday next week to get Chemo 2.
Fingers crossed.
If I could feel them.



No comments: