Monday 16 February 2009

Time to Breathe a Sigh of Relief

I was awake early and urging the nurses to get me hooked up to the mask as early as possible. The quicker we start, the quicker it will all be over. As it happened, we didn't get started until after nine but by 11.30, it was all over. At last. Thank goodness.
What a relief! I can breathe easy now (? ! ?).

Actually, I did feel better. I was still coughing and stuff but maybe just the relief of getting that treatment over and done with has helped me to relax a bit. My temperature was still up and down and there was no real change in my blood cultures but yes - I was feeling better. Maybe, just maybe, I had bottomed out and was on the up?
(I think 'Bottomed out' is a good term to use when you have Ulcerative Colitis.)

The young lady (from Thailand) who cleans my room - and very kindly gets the papers in the morning - is very chatty today and I'm happy for that. She gives me the lowdown on the Thai and Chinese restaurant fraternity in Edinburgh and also pays me a huge compliment by remarking on how blue my eyes were. This was not to be the last time the colour of my eyes would be commented on - mostly by young ladies! This must be one of the better side effects of chemo but they don't put it in the booklets.

Visiting is back to normal. Mum and Shona come in (so there's no need or no opportunity for me to talk!) and then later it's Liesl. Everything is calm again.
This weekend's been a bit of a test of character for me and I didn't cope too well but now I'm sure that everything's going to be ok again.

No comments: