Tuesday 3 February 2009

Root Toot, I'm Oot ! !


Two weeks after I was admitted with a mystery virus thought to be linked to my Ulcerative Colitis, I'm getting home having been diagnosed with non-hodgkin's lymphoma probably caused by the use of a long term drug which was keeping the UC in check. It's a funny old life.

However, I'm very glad to be on my way. The staff here have been brilliant but it's time to go home.
Liesl has bought me a nifty wee thermometer because I have to take my temperature every four hours to make sure it doesn't fall below 36 degrees C and doesn't rise above 38 C. If it does then I've got to get in touch immediately. No risks are to be taken and I've not to catch any infections, so that means avoiding crowds and enclosed spaces.
When I came in, I could hardly walk from the car due to weakness. Now I can hardly walk to the car due to a different sort of weakness. I'll soon get fit again (stop laughing) by walking to the paper shop every morning.

It's great but emotional to see my house as we come down past the pub. It seems ages since I last saw it. It's great to be home.
For the first time I see the flowers sent by the NHS Scotland team at Atos - the messages of support continue unabated. It really is amazing. And humbling.

Liesl has bought a new duvet and sheets as part of the pristine and germ free house.
It's braw and cosy but I feel engulfed in it - like being swamped in a big meringue.
And when the lights go out, it's very dark.
Not dark like it was when I was in hospital, just dark - really dark. Scary!
I canny sleep but it's good to be home.

No comments: