Saturday 28 February 2009

The Azzurri get the Blues

Scotland have won a rugby match!!
They've beaten Italy 26-6. Hooray!
Way back in 1971, my Dad and I went to our very first rugby match. We were meant to be going to see Hearts play Aberdeen at football but saw the buses going to Murrayfield and got on one of them instead.
Scotland were playing England in a special Centenary International having already beaten them in the Five Nations the previous week. It was magical. A huge crowd, a great game, PC Brown kicked his conversions after turning his back on the ball as he walked back before his run up and Scotland won 26-6 to beat England for the second time in eight days. That game sealed our rugby future and each week from then on, we went to hundreds of games together as well as seeing hundreds, if not thousands of others on telly. However, until today, I'm pretty sure that I've never seen another game where the final score was 26-6. Now that's got to be amazing.
I wish Dad was here so that I could check that fact with him and tell him the rest of this story.

No comments: