Thursday 16 July 2009

Breaker Breaker One Nine - Do You Copy?

Here we go then. I’m petless as I pitch up for the PET scan, so it’ll have to be me. As suspected, it’s a mobile scanner housed in the back of a lorry parked in one of the back car parks at WGH. The reception area (in the building) is not exactly salubrious either and I have to interrupt the guy as he eats into his micro-waved curry. Maybe he passes it through the scanner to heat it up? If I were him, I’d be making sure that I had a good look at the pictures to see what was in it. It looked to me as if it had more than lymphoma!
After the customary questions, it was into the truck. The two men in control were more technicians than nurses. In fact, one of them was more like a trucker than a technician.
It’s a strange place. A wee area at the front where the computer screens are, two beds up the left hand side (a sort of ‘drawer’ pulls out from the side of the lorry to give the extra room) and the scanning loops are down the middle.
As Trucker 1 (Rubber Duck) showed me in, he suddenly realised that Trucker 2 (Pig Pen) was depositing a spent nuclear fuel rod into a lead lined bucket and I had to hurry past to the safety of the I.T. section. Once the Geiger count had subsided I went back to get a needle in my arm before being shown to the bedrooms. Rubber Duck explained that when he came back he would work very fast to minimise his exposure to the ‘stuff’, and sure enough, he soon returned with a wee metal box from which he took an impressive looking steel syringe and scooted the sugary, syrupy isotope into my arm.
It was all very James Bondesque:
“Do you expect me to talk, Rubber Duck?”
“No, Mr Craig, I expect you to glow in the dark – hee hee hee!”

Then he was off – I’ve to lie down for an hour. No eating, chewing or talking on the phone. Just as well because I’ve no food or gum and my phone’s in the car.
10-4 good buddy!
True to his word, he was back in an hour. Time to go through the hoop(s).
It’s just like the CT scanner except that there’s two loops and this time my arms were held in place by my side so that I couldn’t move. You don’t have to hold your breath – that would be a bit impractical because it’s going to take half an hour. And off I go, back and forth a couple of times at first like a mechanic on one of those bogey things they use to get under cars. I expect this was just to get the aim and focus right and then it came to a standstill for four or five minutes before moving me up another two inches or so. This stop start pattern continued for the full half hour and all you have to do is keep concentrating to make sure you don’t move.
It was Pig Pen who came in to apologise for the fact that it was such a long scan (?) and that was it. I was shown out of the back door, tripped on the stairs and became something that fell off the back of a lorry.
I head for the interstate A1 towards Shaky Town – keeping an eye out for Fuzzboxes, knowing that another long, nervous wait over the weekend lies in store.

Stay tuned good Buddies. I’ll keep you posted.
Ten-Four and Out.

No comments: