Tuesday 7 July 2009

Big Steps and Wee Steps

Finding Out Day has arrived at last and not a moment too soon. However, as you will see, it didn't turn out exactly as everyone had hoped.

It started out ok with a trip up to Haddington early this morning. I always think that Haddington is at its best at this time of day, with everybody going about their daily business. It's a bit like Trumpton.

In the afternoon though, we're off to the clinic and this time, for the first time, we get to meet Dr Davies.
And the news from the CT scan is . . . . . . . . . . inconclusive!
This time there is some good news and some as yet undetermined news.
The fact that my general health and well being is good, is good news.
My kidney and everywhere else is (still) clear from lymphoma, so that is also great news.
However, my liver, which was always the worst affected area, still has a 'mark' on it. Dr. Davies explained that this might still might be an area of lymphoma that hasn't gone away BUT he also thought that it could be some scarring caused by the chemo treatment. Both are real possibilities and he just doesn't know. He knows that we would have wanted to hear him say 'all clear' but he can't do this until he's sure.
So, no need to panic but to find out for sure, I've got to have a PET scan. (I'll need to get a pet first!!*)

A PET Scan means drinking some radioactive isotope which apparently sticks to any lymphoma which then shows up on the scan. So, if the scan's clear, I'm clear.
I read in the paper today that Russia and America have agreed to reduce their nuclear arsenal. I hope Gordon Brown doesn't join in - I may be surplus to requirements!

Dr Davies promised that the scan would be within two weeks and that he'd phone me as soon as possible afterwards with the result.
(He also explained that a further liver biopsy may also be required.)

OK - it's disappointing but it isn't the end of the world and it certainly isn't the worst news I've had this year, so it's just a case of staying positive and patient for another two weeks or so.

On the way home, we look in at Archerfield, where Gary Player is having a pro-celebrity golf two day tournament. We saw Dennis Taylor, the snooker player and commentator and Martin Bayfield - best known to me as a 6' 10" England rugby player and Radio 5 Live commentator but probably more famous to younger viewers as Robbie 'Hagrid' Coltraine's body and stunt double in the Harry Potter films.

To cheer ourselves up a bit, we went to the Castle Inn for our tea. Things are looking better already!

* - Acknowledgement - Chic Murray - c1972. Thanks, Chic.

ps - my website of the day is Optical Illusions. For no other reason other than I think they're good.



'

No comments: