Friday 30 January 2009

Time for the (R-)CHOP

Right then. Here we go.
Maybe.

Have I mentioned my cough?
Well it's still going strong and as well as that, my temperature is up a good bit today. And I feel lousier than ever.
Dr Farquharson was keen that the chemo should start today but you're supposed to be infection free before you get it. Having cancer seems to be ok - you get it then!
The nursing staff can't get in touch with Dr F to find out whether or not to proceed. As time moseys by, my 5 o'clock discharge looks more and more unlikely.
Eventually, Dr F comes by sometime in the mid afternoon and she says GO GO GO! ! The quicker we get started, the quicker everything will be fixed. She also explained that as I had been (still am) quite ill, it would be better if I stayed in Ward 8 at least until Monday so that they can keep an eye out for any adverse reactions. Oh well, c'est la vie!

So, at 16.30 on Friday, 30th January 2009 I start gettng chemotherapy.
That's what people with cancer get. That's what I'm getting.
I told you I was ill.

I get the pre-meds, the drip with the 'R' bit goes up and off we go. The 'R' will take about 3 hours this time - it'll be quicker for future doses - and then the Bolus nurse injects the rest.
(Bolus: The injection of a drug (or drugs) in a high quantity (called a bolus) at once).
Liesl's here. We chat and laugh, ask the nurse questions and watch the miracle potions go in to do their stuff.
By 20:30 it's all over. Liesl goes home and I stay lying on my bed. I'd better not move in case I'm sick. Or nauseous. Or prickly all over. Or I might faint. Or I might take a seizure.
Do you think I've had too much information?
After about an hour I think "Sod this - I'm feeling fine" and get up to go to the loo.
Everything's going to be fine.

No comments: