Tuesday 20 January 2009

Time for Action

Tuesday again and time for the weekly GI clinic. Dr Shand has been kindly fitting me in with an early appointment but it's now quite hard to get up and out to be there in time for 9 am. I'm also finding it harder to drive so Liesl has been taking me to the last couple of appointments but I'm now feeling so sore that every bump in the road zaps right through my body.
When we finally arrive in the car park after battling our way through all of the school run 4x4s, it's a struggle to make the short walk up the hill to the entrance to the clinic. When we meet Gavin from the hockey gang in the shop, it's all I can do but put on a brave face and hold on nonchalantly to the shelves - not in a casual manner but to stop me from falling over.
So this time it was an easy decision for Dr Shand and we were all agreed - admission to hospital was the only option. It would take time for an available bed to be confirmed so I was sent back home and get my stuff and then come back in at 4 pm.
Best to get new pyjamas. And all of the usual washbag suspects. And don't forget my toys - radio, iPod, torch (sometimes it's dark at night when you have to get up and go to the loo), book, Smudge (more of him later), magazines and biscuits! I'm guessing I'll be in for more than a day or two.

The GI ward was quite quiet when we arrived back and I was shown to my room. A private side room with telly - cool.
The bed wasn't made up so while we waited we watched the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama. A momentous occasion and the start of a new chapter in the brave new western world. History will show if he's any better than any of the rest but he seems like a good guy so let's give him a chance and wait and see. He can't be any worse than the previous incumbent.

So after getting settled in and glad to get into my bed, Liesl went home and I was left waiting and thinking about what might be. At 9 pm my rest was interrupted though. Even at the time of night it seems, it's not too late to get whisked off for another X-ray. Why are hospital corridors so eerie when they're quiet and deserted?

No comments: