Thursday 29 January 2009

Settling In

Life in a room with six beds is a bit different to when I was in the wee room on my own. Much less room for all my visitors. But it's fine and the staff are brilliant. Michael's become a great pal and someone to talk to and get things explained by.
The plan has been decided by Dr Farquharson. I'm to have six doses of
R-CHOP chemotherapy - one dose every three weeks. I'll get another CT scan half way through and another at the end. If the nhl hasn't gone by then, I might have to get another two doses. Simple!
R-CHOP is a cocktail of five drugs - R for Rituximab, P for Prednisolone and you can look up the CHO for yourselves by clicking the link above. No tunnels or nuclear fission are involved - the drugs will be injected by syringes through the canula in my arm, except for Rituximab which is done via a drip. Normally, the doses will be given to me in Ward 1 as an out-patient but I'll get the first one here in Ward 8 on Friday.
So, the first dose will be on Friday morning and while chatting to Michael about it he slips in casually that I'll be home by 5 o'clock that day.
Home ! ! ?
I canny go home. I'm no' weel. I've got an illness. A proper illness. Even Iain Munn agrees that you're allowed time off your work when you've got cancer. It's an illness that you have to go into hospital for. I'm in hospital. It's too early to go home. I should be in for weeks shouldn't I?
Well apparently not - but that's great news.
I've still got that cough though. And I still feel lousy.

No comments: