Thursday 2 April 2009

It's a Scan-dal

The days, weeks and months are rolling in and I haven't written a book or decorated the house but I have started to do some light work in the garden and greenhouse.
I asked Dr Farquharson if I'd be able to play the piano after my Chemo was finished and she said "Yes - of course!"
That's great, I said, because I can't play it at the moment.
Boom Boom!
- Nobody saw that one coming.

Anyway, today is the half time CT scan. It's been two weeks since Chemo 3 to give it the maximum chance to work and I'll get the result from Dr F when I come in for Chemo 4 next week.

Because I was so ill when I got the last one, I can't really remember what's involved - except for the aniseed drink. A great big jug of it!
Actually, it was ok. I kept up a steady pace of drinking a small amount each time over the hour and finished it off just in time. Then I had to get stripped and put on on of those daft, back to front gowns - try tying one of those to preserve your dignity when you can't feel your fingers!
Then it was into 'the chamber'.
I had forgotten that you get a further injection of 'contrast' and that it gives you a warm flush - especially in your bladder. It feels like you've wet yourself - weird! It's amazing how quickly the warm feeling circulates around your body. I could feel it in my ankles within a few seconds.

All we have to do now is wait nervously for (over) a week to find out what progress, if any, we've made.
It's funny how the Doc came in with the bad news within an hour and a half of the first CT scan but I have to wait eight days for any potential good news from this one. The machinations of NHS Scotland are hard to comprehend sometimes.

No comments: